Question:
Newbie needs advice on car audio!?
Zach
2010-09-22 13:59:38 UTC
Hello all,

I have recently accquired a 2002 honda crv, and I was looking at installing a car audio system(subs are my first priority.) I am technology forward, but have never really done anything like this before so i was really looking for some advice, maybe even direction to a different thread or something like that. I do have a budget of around 1200 dollars for this. Here is some of the reasearch I have done so far.

Head Unit:
For a head unit i would really like something with a screen....a big one. The space in the crv is about 7 inches and I think that was standard for some cars at the time. At first glance, a headunit that seemed to work would be something like http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4513271&CatId=5243 I like how it has the bluetooth because i could then stream audio from my ipod. But I am completly ignorant on:
Does it have good sound quality?
Would I be able to connect it to an amp?
Would it fit in the space or would I need to buy a bracket?
Would I be able to use the speakers that are in the doors?
Any other concerns I should have?
Any suggestions on different head units?

Amp:
I know that I need to have an amp. What size would fit my needs? I want dual 12" subs. Thats what I want but I do have a pair of 9x6 speakers just sitting in my basement that I bought at a garage sale for 5 buck and maybe I could incorporate them as well but I am not sure if that is even possible. I also have no idea of how big of an amp my car could support. It has a 90A alternator which does not mean a whole lot to me but probably means a lot to someone who knows more. Another side question is do I need a capasitator? I have no idea on an amp yet because I have no clue on what size or a good brand.

Subs:
I want the subs to hit hard. I was thinking of dual 12'' but nothing smaller. Even if i don't use them to their full abaility, I want them to look big. I just want to stay simple and bolt a box to the floor. Something that looks kind of like http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2397733 You have to scroll down a bit. I like how that looks. It is nice and simple and I probably will end up putting the amp on the top of the box like that as well. But I do not know what brand of subs I should buy or box and where.

Other Speakers:
So as I stated before it would be nice to incorporate the 9x6 speakers but will that cost more? A lot more? And do I even need them? There are only four door speakers so I am not sure if that will be enough. Are tweeters hard to install? I don't know if I need them but I would like to hear the words and not just bass, but they seem much more complex to install.

That is what I know so far, just looking for a lot of advice before I start the project, so anything posted is greatly appreciated :)
Four answers:
~♥♡Hazel Eyes♥♡~
2010-09-22 14:01:58 UTC
ok so wat u ned to do is go get car n drive...n plz guy make up ur mind we not choose da stuff 4 u you chose urself ok...n of course i don have much experence wit electrictronical things so u prety much screwd.
2010-09-22 15:30:44 UTC
Head unit is whatever appeals to you, personally I like mine where it flip out of the dash. It is iPod ready so you plug it in & the menu appears on screen like it would on your iPod. Mine is (PIONEER AVH-P5000) great sound quality, clear screen in all lights, I'd get it again.

Your amp should match your subs potential. It wont hurt if its smaller. I have two 12" 1200w Pioneer subs & only a 300w mono block amp & it kicks hard as. Its a Cadence 300w Mono Block & to power the speakers I have a Pioneer 600w 4 channel amp. I would reccomend both as they both power up the speakers & subs crystal clear.

subs as i said were Pioneer 12" 1200w champion series subs. Theyre great but i hear soundstream are better. Dont go by the max watts. Check for a higher RMS value as this is the rate they can constantly run at. You might get 1200w max for 1second before they blow. Higher max wattage wont mean better sound.

I run Alpine 6" speakers/tweeters. They're good, but dont handle bass too well. Great vocals though. My time again I'd be chasing soundstream.

Hope this helps in someway
2010-09-22 14:12:29 UTC
you found a headunit now go to sonicelectronix.com and look at your amps speakers boxes speakers and subs you dont want a bunch of bass and shitty speakers youd probably be ok with one 12 or 15 since your new. you can get a nice type r or l7 or a power acoustic mofo those have a lotta bass and they are like $140. and your 7 inch headunit is boss which is cheap better of getting a kenwood or alpine headunit thats normal and won't break if you hit a bump going fast if seen it happen
Jacob
2010-09-22 14:11:59 UTC
Go with an Alpine or Kenwood HU

Alpine Speakers

Rockford Fosgate 12" P3s

and a Rockford P-1000

go to sonicelectronix.com or onlinecarstereo.com for your box