Question:
How should I set up my Jeep audio system?
Zoey
2016-07-05 15:54:42 UTC
I have a 2015 jeep compass without Boston acoustics sound system. I'm not looking for the best of the business, however I want to upgrade everything for a reasonable price (I'm a newbie to quality sound). $60 or less set of speakers price range. I also do not want the sub to take up too much room, and saw the factory sub was built into the side (any ideas/forums) on how to do this?

Thanks for any advice/preference
Three answers:
NCA6.7
2016-07-05 16:59:41 UTC
Stock sound systems are decent quality. It's great enough to satisfy the average listener. But they don't produce the low end and the high end very well. Part of your music is just missing because the system cannot produce it or it's just not heard. When most car audio enthusiast buy a new car, we immediately tear out the stock sound system.

Improving the sound quality in your car comes to a big budget. If you got the money in your wallet, spend around $1000 to $1500. If you have a huge bank account to drain, I'd spend $2000+. These will include a high quality 4 or a 5 channel amplifier, a high quality monoblock amplifier, a high quality subwoofer, coaxials, components, 2-ways, 3-ways. You will also need to invest into a proper enclosure for the subwoofer. A $300 subwoofer will NOT perform well in the wrong type of enclosure.

The electrical load that you put on your vehicle's alternator can only handle so much. If you're going to be running a 1500+ watt RMS system, you need to upgrade to a high output alternator. The next thing that comes into play will be the big 3 upgrade. If you have no idea what the big 3 is, search it on Google or YouTube.

The cheap stuff is cheap for a reason. You're going to need to spend at lease $200 for a quality pair of speakers. Stock speakers provide pretty decent quality. Your sound quality is only as good as your speakers are. If your speakers are poor quality, then your sound is going to be poor quality.

Most aftermarket speakers need at lease 100 watts RMS to perform well and loud. So if you're going to be powering a $150 speaker off a 20 watt head unit, it's not going to perform well and loud. Most subwoofers need at least 1000 watts RMS to perform well and loud. I'd look for a single high quality 12" or a 15" subwoofer around 1000 watts RMS.

Once you have a quality system, you'll be the number 1 guy at the car audio show!
2016-07-05 15:58:02 UTC
You will need to spend more than $60 a speaker for any substantial upgrade. The OEM factory speakers provided by FCA are at least that good of quality. You are going to have to spend a minimum of a Benjamin per speaker to upgrade your sound significantly.
?
2016-07-05 15:55:52 UTC
For 60 dollars your better off with the stock system you'd have to drop around 160 to improve it