Question:
Advice on new car cd receiver needed?
PdT
2009-01-13 08:17:01 UTC
I am a complete newbie when it comes to car sound...So I have a few basic questions:

Right now I have a really old cd player in my car. I want to get good new one but don't want to spend over $150.

What should I look for in a new cd player? I would like my sound to be a little louder and a bit clearer.

For example should I go for the highest RMS x channels? There is a nice Pioneer unit which has 22RMS, for $140, but then I also saw a sony unit for around $160 but it only has 17RMS. So will the pioneer be much better than the sony, or do different things influence the power and sound quality?

I would like the receiver to have a usb adapter on it. Right now I am looking at:

http://www.xplodsony.com/xplod/headunits/CDX-GT630UI

and

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Pioneer-DEH-P3100UB-CD-Receiver-with-USB-Input-DEH-P3100UB/sem/rpsm/oid/233830/catOid/-13089/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Thanks for any advice!
Three answers:
highjumper205
2009-01-13 08:49:19 UTC
RMS per channel is not gonna matter coming from the head unit. they all max out around 20 watts. U will need to get an amp to really push if thats what u are looking for. Just choose the one with the best features u are looking for. The sound is gonna really depend on what type of door speakers u have in the car. U can replace them if u still have the factory speakers and u will get much better quality.
latanya
2016-05-27 14:22:19 UTC
Kind of confusing but i think i have answers. First off, you need two amps of course, i would go with both subs bridged on a kicker 750 amp. On the other amp i would run the 6x9 speakers bridged on something like a kicker 200 watt amp. the door speakers dont really have to be amplified I reccommend any of these amps: Kicker, JL, Crunch, Diamond Audio, Fosgate, Kenwood, Pioneer NEVER use these amps: Boss, Power acoustik, Pyle, and anything that sounds too good to be true, IE: " 3000 watts rms for only $65.99!!!!! amps that say anything like that arent CEA compliant. Basically, if they dont comply with CEA standards, they can put what ever wattage they want on their product, for what ever price they want. trying to hook customers looking for a good deal. do not be fooled.
robert r
2009-01-14 03:01:32 UTC
the sony 630ui is a really good unit you could actually control the ipod through the ipod or the radio but pioneer i believe is a more better brand than sony